Back to School
We are excited to welcome all our students and families back to school in person this year!
The first day of school is Monday, August 23. The school day begins at 7:55 am for grades 6-8, and 8:00 am for grades K-5 with an 11:30 am dismissal for all students. The Extended Care program begins on Wednesday, August 25. Please review the schedule on our school calendar and in the checklist below for the first week
We welcome our kindergarten students on Thursday, August 19, to Meet and Greet their new kindergarten teachers and other members of our school faculty and staff. An invitation was emailed on Monday, August 2 to each family with information.
On Friday, August 20, students in grades 1-8 are invited to Sneak-a-Peek, from 10 am - 12 pm. Teachers will be in their classrooms ready to meet you! Drop in for a short visit, and drop off school supplies in homerooms.
Pre Kindergarten will begin on August 30, 2021, at 8:00 am.
The checklist below provides you with information and tasks necessary to ensure your child(ren) have a successful beginning to the new school year. All information, especially critical emergency contact information resides in our PowerSchool student information database, must be kept up-to-date, and may likely be used used during the school year to notify you of critical events. Thank you for helping us to stay current with your information!
Click here for a printable checklist
- Policies and Guidelines for COVID-19 and Acknowledgement
- HANDBOOK - REQUIRED for ALL students
- POWERSCHOOL INFORMATION UPDATE: REQUIRED for all students
- MEDIA RELEASE - REQUIRED for NEW Students and Change for Returning Students
- HEALTH INFORMATION & FORMS - Please review to determine which are required.
- WALK TO CHURCH PERMISSION FORM -REQUIRED for NEW STUDENTS ONLY
- PERMISSION TO WALK TO JONES POINT PARK - REQUIRED for ALL students
- PICKUP PATROL - REQUIRED for All for Daily Health Screening, Absence Reporting, and Dismissal Plans
- iPad 1:1 PROGRAM RESPONSIBLE USE AGREEMENT FORM - REQUIRED for Grades 6,7, & 8
- SCHOOL DIRECTORY - All Families Included
- MOBILE APP - Install and Set Up
- LUNCH and MILK - REGISTER AND SET UP ACCOUNT FOR NEW YEAR
- TEACHER HOMEROOM ASSIGNMENTS
- VOTE NOW FOR HSA BOARD - Home and School Association (Parent Volunteer Program)
- REGISTER FOR FAMILIES IN SERVICE (FIS) - PARENT VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
- UNIFORMS READY
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES (K-8) / SUMMER READING (Grades 4-8)
- MORNING AND AFTERNOON CARPOOL
- EXTENDED CARE PROGRAM
- WALKER PASS and BICYCLE RIDER PASS REQUEST
- WHAT ARE SCHOOL HOURS?
- SOCIAL MEDIA - LIKE US, FOLLOW US, SIGN UP - KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR SCHOOL
- ONLINE SYSTEMS USED AT OUR SCHOOL
Please read the 2021-2022 Policies and Operations Guide for COVID-19 to become familiar with school protocols with COVID-19 considerations. Complete and submit the Acknowledgement Form.
The Basilica School of Saint Mary May need to contact a student's parents, guardians, and/or emergency contact for various reasons during the school year. Annually, we require families to provide contact and demographic information to update PowerSchool, our Student Information System. Please take your time to complete and submit this google form. Your information will then be updated in Powerschool. Thank you for completing this form by August 13.
All families must have login credentials for Powerschool. Current families will continue to use their pre-existing accounts.
Any families with new students, will have to set up their accounts for their students. Please follow the instructions below:
If you are a NEW family: click here for directions to create PowerSchool login credentials.
If you are a returning family with a new student(s): Click here for directions to add a new student to your existing account.
The School will take pictures and videos of our students during school events, in the classroom, and during extra-curricular activities for marketing and promotional purposes.
If you have a student(s) NEW to The Basilica School of Saint Mary, please complete the Media Release Form below.
If your student(s) is(are) returning to The Basilica School of Saint Mary AND you want to change the options on your Media Release form(s) on file for with the school, please complete the form below.
NOTE: When you have completed this form, your Media Release decision stands for the time your student remains enrolled at The Basilica School of Saint Mary. Your decision may be changed ONLY once, at the beginning of a school year, when Back to School forms are released. Once your decision is made, it may not be changed until the following school year.
PLEASE INFORM THE SCHOOL NURSE now, and any time necessary during the school year, if your child is currently taking medication, has special medical conditions such as diabetes, asthma, ADHD, or has life-threatening food allergies, or if your child has been seen by a medical provider or ER physician for injury or illness.
ALL MEDICAL FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLINIC NO LATER THAN AUGUST 13. The state of Virginia has not waived health requirements and/or immunizations requirements and continues to require all health forms to be submitted prior to the start of the school year. If you are having difficulty making an appointment with your healthcare provider, or have a scheduled appointment after the school year has started, please notify/email Mrs. Danaher in the clinic at firstname.lastname@example.org. Everyone in our community is urged to receive an Influenza Vaccination as soon as it becomes available.
MEDICAL FORMS REQUIRED FOR BACK TO SCHOOL
- ALL Returning families must print and complete the Confidential Health History Update Form. Download, print, complete and send (via email and scanned to Mrs. Danaher : email@example.com.
- NEW students must be in the process of completing, or have already completed, the School Health Entrance form.
- Students in grades Kindergarten, Third, and Seventh must be in the process of completing, or have already completed, the School Health Entrance form.
- All other medical forms must be completed as needed. Link to clinic information and other medical forms
- Forms are due to the clinic no later than August 13.
Parents/Guardians of NEW students in grades K-8 must submit this form submitted by Friday, August 13, 2021.
Families of new student (s) will submit one form for ALL of your children attending school, even if the child(ren) have/has been previously enrolled, with the exception of Prekindergarten students. PreKindergarten students do not walk to The Basilica for mass or other spiritual events.
Once you have completed this form, it will continue to serve as your Agreement for Permission to Walk to Church for the remainder of the years that your student(s) is (are) enrolled at The Basilica School of Saint Mary, unless you notify us by re-submitting this form in order to change your permission.
Questions? Send an email to Mrs. Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students in grades K-8 will walk to Jones Point Park for occasional classes and activities throughout the school year.
Jones Point Park is located off S. Royal Street and the entrance is directly across from the school property.
One form must be submitted per family to include ALL students in that family.
Once you have completed this form, it will continue to serve as your Agreement for Permission to Walk to Jones Point Park for the remainder of the years that your student(s) is (are) enrolled at The Basilica School of Saint Mary, unless you notify us by re-submitting this form in order to change your permission.
Please submit the following form by Friday, August 13, 2021.
Questions? Email to Mrs. Michael at email@example.com
PickUp Patrol is a web based program our parents use to:
- Inform the school of their children's after school (default) dismissal plans, and as needed, any changes in dismissal plans
- Notify the school of your child's absence due to illness or other reason. Please make this report no later than 7:55 am with the reason for absence.
- Notify the school of their children's early dismissal or late arrival for appointments.
- Pick up children in afternoon carpool.
- Monitor daily student COVID-19 risk factors. (Daily Health Screen)
- New families should look for an email from PickUp Patrol, on Wednesday, August 18th, with a link for immediate sign-on. Once logged in, create your child(ren)'s dismissal plan(s) for the year. Please watch this video PUP How it Works video or use this tool PUP from Parents POV
- Returning families, please log in to UPDATE your default dismissal plan for each of your children by Friday, August 20th.
- Window car tags will be available at Sneak a Peek in your child’s classroom.
- The link to PickUp Patrol is https://app.pickuppatrol.net/parents
How it Works
- PUP is free to parents and is accessed from your smartphone or computer through the school's website or mobile app (under the More tab) or at https://app.pickuppatrol.net/parents
- To report an absence or make a dismissal change, simply log in, select a date, your child, and a plan change option. Then hit submit! You will ALWAYS receive a confirmation email once the change has been made.
- Changes and absences can be entered months in advance, however, submit all same-day changes by 10:45 am on 11:30 am dismissal days, 1:30 pm on 2:15 pm dismissal days, and 2:30 pm on 3:15 pm dismissal days.
- If you have changes to make later than these times, please CALL the main office.
- Teachers will be automatically notified of any dismissal changes for the day and will communicate them to your child.
If you have questions, contact Mrs. Shawn Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again this year, we will be using PUP to help track COVID risk factors.
- Submit a health assessment of your student(s) by answering a few questions in the PickUp Patrol app each school day by 7:55 AM.
- Students who have not been screened will not be allowed in the building until the screening is completed.
Tap on the person to be screened. Answer the questions and then press Submit.
Parents/Guardians and students in grades 6 , 7, and 8 should read, print and sign the following Middle School 1:1 iPad Program and Responsible Use form.
Bring signed copy to your homeroom teacher on August 20, Sneak A Peek.
All families are included in the School Directory.
The directory lists all student names by family. Included are mother and father (or guardian) names, email addresses, cell phone numbers, home address, the student(s) name(s), grade(s) and homeroom number(s).
- If you DO NOT want to be listed in the School Directory, please send an email to Mrs. Ann Ross at: email@example.com by Friday, August 13, 2021.
- If a student lives in 2 separate households, and parents prefer the households to be listed separately, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by August 13, indicating your preference. If no email is sent by August 13, then your student(s) will be shown in the directory under the "primary" household name.
- If you would prefer to have specific information removed from your directory information, for example, delete mother's cell phone, or father's email address, please send an email with your specific and very clear request to email@example.com.
- Families will receive one printed copy of a directory free of charge. Additional copies will be made available for $10 each and may be purchased in the main office.
- It is likely that we will have a Parent Directory available to use on our school's mobile app. If you would prefer not to be included in this mobile app directory, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 13.
ON YOUR PHONE
- Download and Install our school's mobile app from the Apple store or Google Play.
- Our app provides you with a direct connection to school calendars, news, PowerSchoolTM, SchoologyTM, parent events organized by our Home and School Association (HSA) and more.
- Be sure to turn on your notifications for distribution lists you will find on your app so you can receive push notifications.
Click on an icon below to register for milk, learn about our lunch program, and register your EZSchoolPay lunch account for payment.
Please log on to PowerSchoolTM to view your child's homeroom. You will find that information under the Classes tab.
If you are a family that is either new to the school or has a new student registered for the 21-22 school year, instructions on how to set up your login credentials were sent the morning of August 6. Please refer to those instructions to get set up. If you do not have login information, please contact email@example.com
Each year our community of parents is invited to vote on a slate of officers who volunteer their time to be the officers of the Home and School Association or HSA. They organize, manage and support all HSA sponsored events and programs that support our school. Voting usually occurs in the spring of the school year. However, given circumstances with COVID-19, the voting was delayed.
Kindly cast your vote by completing the form below. Thank you!
Families-In-Service (FIS) is back and ready for the 2021-2022 school year! The FIS program, which operates under the auspices of the parent led Home and School Association (HSA) of The Basilica School of Saint Mary, was established in a continuing effort to:
- support the financial needs of our school
- provide services and educational enrichment programs to our children and school staff
- ensure responsibilities are uniformly distributed and shared among school families
- and offer families opportunities to interact with other parents, school staff, and friends
This program plays an important part in our community and in our children’s education.
The FIS family commitment is 25 shares (12 for a single-parent family) per school year. This commitment is in addition to volunteering in some capacity for one of the major school fundraisers which underwrite certain programs or needs that tuition does not cover. If at the end of the year, you have been unable to fulfill all shares, your family will be billed $20 per share.
The FIS Catalog and Registration Form are attached below. The FIS Catalog is updated with a table of contents and sorting capabilities to help make your search and selection streamlined. You can also find the catalog on the school website’s FIS page.
Once you have selected your desired volunteer positions, please list them in order of preference on the registration form below by September 15, 2021. You will be notified via email of your assigned position(s). This year, positions will not be first come, first served—they will be reviewed and assigned. It may not be always be possible to match your choices, therefore we ask that you consider other volunteer opportunities in the event that happens. We hope to have positions assigned by the end of September.
NOTE: The Basilica of Saint Mary parish and school enforces the Arlington Diocesan requirement that all volunteers who have contact with children must fulfill the entire Protecting God's Children program which includes paperwork, a background check, and attending a VIRTUS training session. The whole process takes time, sometimes even a few months. FIS positions designated as having contact with children, and therefore requiring VIRTUS fulfillment, are clearly marked with an asterisk (*) in the catalog. An overview of the requirements can be found on smsva.org under Parent Resources, then VIRTUS Protecting God's Children. Please contact Carmen Federle at 703-836-4100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the Diocesan requirements of the Protecting God’s Children Program.
Thank you for your willingness and enthusiasm to volunteer. We look forward to working together!
Kathleen Lungren Jobe
FIS Chair 2021-2022
Questions may be sent to: FIS@smsva.org
The dress code provides a standard for our students, which fosters an environment conducive to learning and respectful behavior.
School guidelines for student uniforms may also be referenced in the Parent-Student Handbook.
Where to purchase: All uniforms are to be purchased through Lands' End, www.landsend.com. Click on "school" > "Find my school" > and enter "Basilica School of Saint Mary" or search by the number: 90005526.
- Dress Uniform: Dress uniforms are worn on all first Friday Mass days as well as any other dates indicated on the school calendar. This uniform is also acceptable to be worn year-round should you choose. Non-Dress Uniforms are worn all other days.
- Winter Uniform: October 15 - May 1. Students may not wear shorts or skorts during the winter period.
- Polos/Oxfords: All shirts are to be tucked in.
- Vest/Long-sleeved Sweater: Required for full dress during winter uniform.
- PE Uniforms: Hoodies are NOT an option.
- Belts: Black belt or Saint Mary spirit belt are acceptable.
Student school supplies may be dropped off in the student's classroom during the Kindergarten Meet and Greet, or the Sneak a Peek for grades 1-8 on Friday, August 20, from 9-11 a.m.
Please follow these directions for Morning Arrival/Departure and Afternoon Dismissal. For the safety of all our students and their families, we ask that you carefully read them before coming to school.
This plan was made in cooperation with the City of Alexandria Police Department.
Children may be brought to The Basilica School via public transportation arranged by parents or by dropping children off at the Royal Street gates in our carpool line. The Royal Street carpool line forms in the southbound lanes only. Please do not cross Royal Street or make U-turns.
Cars must remain in a single file line and dismiss riders on the Royal Street curbside. Drivers may use Green Street to come into the carpool line, but not to exit it.
Parents of kindergarten students should have the “Little Saint on Board” decal in their passenger side window. Decals will be given out during the Kindergarten Meet and Greet event. This decal alerts our morning teachers and patrols working the morning carpool to make sure they assist those cars with kindergarten students. Kindergarteners will then line up at the bottom of the blacktop with a teacher aide and be escorted to the gym by teacher aides in a “kindergarten train.”
If a Pre-K student has a sibling in grades 4 or higher, they may be dropped off in the morning carpool line and then escorted to the Pre-K classroom by their sibling. Please allow time for the sibling to complete this process. If the Pre-K student does not have a sibling in grades 4 or higher, then they must follow the drop-off procedures in the Pre-K handbook.
Please do not enter or block the alleyway on the side of the school on Green Street.
DEPARTURE FROM MORNING ARRIVAL
- After you have dropped off your child, follow the car in front of you to circle around and head north on Royal Street. Do not cut across the carpool line if the car in front of you has not moved. You must stay in line for the safety of our students and other vehicles.
Continue north at the intersection of Royal and Green streets or turn right onto Green Street. Do NOT turn left onto Green St. after drop off.
Cars needing to exit onto Washington Street should do so via Franklin Street or other streets north.
Jefferson Street is tight at the intersection of Royal and we are prohibited from using the Jefferson Street access road. Avoiding Jefferson Street when exiting will alleviate congestion on Jefferson St. and avoid possible damage to moving and parked vehicles.
3:12 p.m. Afternoon Prayers and Announcements, followed by Kindergarten dismissal
3:13 p.m. Bus riders will be dismissed
3:14 p.m. Carpool riders will be dismissed to the blacktop area
3:15 p.m. Walkers* will be dismissed
*All Walkers must obtain a Walker Pass from the main office at the beginning of the school year. A Walker Pass will only be distributed to those students who will be walking to their homes (or parents’ offices) after school. The home or office must fall within the boundaries of Washington and King Streets.
- Cars coming from the south must make a right turn on Jefferson Street and then turn right on South Royal Street.
- Cars that are coming from points north enter carpool lanes going south on Royal Street.
The first cars in the carpool should take a left into the turnabout before the bridge stopping on the east side of Royal St. where the gates of the blacktop begin. Cars will line up and wait for the gates to open. Do not block the driveway to the blacktop where the gates open.
Once the cars begin moving out of the turnabout, cars should not pass the gate, but instead enter directly into the blacktop.
In accordance with the directive by the City of Alexandria Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, cars may not be left unattended while waiting to enter the school grounds. Please do not block the city recycling bins, any driveways, or the blacktop gates.
At 2:55 p.m. the gates will open and cars will be directed to park in straight lines on the blacktop. The cars will enter the blacktop so that the first car lines up parallel to Green Street along the curb in front of Stephens Hall. The cars will exit the lot from the side closest to Stephens Hall beginning with the first car that entered the lot per usual. Please pay attention to the person on duty who will direct you to your lane. Please move forward enough to utilize all spaces. Once the bell has rung, the students will be gathered behind the orange barriers at the top of the blacktop. You should then immediately get your child and bring him/her to your car. All parents are asked to gather their children and return to their car expeditiously so that we can dismiss the first round of vehicles and repeat the process for the second round of cars.
As the first round of cars exit the blacktop, the second round of cars will enter and be directed to the appropriate lane. Parents remain in their cars until the first round has fully exited and the teacher on duty gives the signal.
Teachers on duty are supervising students and are not available to conference with parents during carpool dismissal.
Late Carpool Pick-up
All students, whose carpools have not arrived prior to the time when we dismiss students to the cars during the second round, will be sent to Late Carpool Pick-up located in the Main Office. As a guideline, this is usually 15 minutes after dismissal. Parents will be notified and charged a fee of $15/student until 3:45 pm (2:45 pm on Wednesdays or noon on half days). After 3:45 pm, late carpool students will be sent to Extended Day and will be charged accordingly. Students registered in plan A or B will NOT be charged this late pick-up fee.
Extended Care Program
The Basilica School of Saint Mary provides an Extended Care Program in a safe and Christian atmosphere before and after school, for children in grades kindergarten through eight. In this environment, children grow in all aspects and are allowed time for interaction with other students. The Afternoon Program offers a supervised optional study hall for grades 2-8 as well as supervised activities and play.
All families were required to complete their registration for the 2021-2022 Extended Care Program by May 31, 2021, regardless of the plan type selected. The Extended Morning Care program is available on a drop-in basis and is available to all registered families, regardless of plan type. Pre-K students and Mater Dei students do not use Extended Care, so this contract is not required.
All school policies as outlined in the Parent-Student Handbook apply to the Extended Care program.
Extended Care must be contracted regardless of drop-in, part-time or full-time usage. Please note that Extended Care spaces are limited and are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The first day of Extended Care will be Wednesday, August 25th.
- The first day of the Morning Care program will be Tuesday, September 7th.
Hours of Operation:
- Morning Care: 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
After School: From the end of the school day - 6:00 p.m. Exceptions to the Extended Care Calendar are posted on the school-wide calendar.
Extended Care is NOT in session on the following days:
- 11:30 AM Dismissals
- 1st and 2nd day of school
- Conference day (November)
- Day before Thanksgiving break
- Holy Thursday (Morning Care available)
- Last day of school
Questions? Please send an email to Mrs. Hampton at: email@example.com.
Extended Morning Care
Extended Morning Care will be available to all registered families, regardless of plan selection. Preschool and Mater Dei children will not be able to participate.
WHEN: Starting September 7, 2021
TIME: 7:00 - 7:30 am (Gates Close at 7:20am) On days when school has a delayed start, Morning Care will operate. One hour delay will operate from 8:00 - 8:25am. Two hour delay will operate from 9:00 - 9:25 am.
COST: $6 per child for any arrival time listed above, plus registration fee of $35, unless previously paid for Extended Day After Care. Billing will occur through FACTS on the 15th of the next month.
BREAKFAST: Not Available
LOCATION: Cafeteria - Quiet games and activities will be provided. Children will be escorted at 7:30 am to join the rest of the students.
HOW DOES THIS WORK? Think of afternoon pick-up in reverse. The gates will open at 6:50 am. You are directed to enter the blacktop in a single file line in front of door #2. Children remain in their vehicles. At 7:00 am, a staff member will take a temperature check when the child arrives in carpool, and then the child and will proceed to the cafeteria. Exit out of the blacktop on to Royal Street. DO NOT make any attempt to exit behind the GYM as it is one way at that time for Faculty and Staff arrival.
REGISTRATION: All registered families are eligible for the Morning Care program. The registration deadline was May 31, 2021.
All walkers must obtain a Walker Pass. A Walker Pass may be distributed to those students who will be walking to their homes (or parent's office) after school.
- The home or office must fall within the boundaries of South Washington and King Streets.
- The Walker Pass is issued through the main office via the form below and passes are collected on the last day of school.
- An application is required and approved for each school year.
- A pass from the previous year will not be honored.
Students arriving at school on bicycle may enter through the gate by door #2, or from the bike trail and then through the cemetery and then enter the gate behind Stephens Hall. Riders will then walk their bicycle to the bike rack, located at the west side of Stephens Hall. All students riding their bicycle as their mode of transportation to school, must obtain a bicycle pass so that the school has a record on file.
Bicycle riders will be dismissed with walkers at the end of the day and will depart school grounds by walking their bicycle across the blacktop to the gate by door #2.
Please complete this pass request.
- Middle school in grades 6, 7, and 8 need to be in their classroom at 7:55 am.
- Grades Pre Kindergarten – 5 must be in their classroom at 8:00 am.
- Students may begin to arrive at 7:30 am, unless they are registered for Extended Morning Care.
- Middle school students may enter Stephens Hall upon arrival (after 7:30 am).
- School is dismissed at 3:15 pm on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday and Friday
- School is dismissed at 2:15 pm, Pre K students are dismissed at 2:00 pm
First Week Of School Dismissal Times:
- Monday, August 23 - 11:30 am dismissal - NO Extended Day
- Tuesday, August 24 - 11:30 am dismissal - NO Extended Day
- Wednesday, August 25 - 2:15 pm dismissal, Extended Day begins
- Thursday, August 26 - 3:15 pm dismissal
- Friday, August 27 - 3:15 pm dismissal
First day of school for Pre-Kindergarten students: Monday, August 30, 2021.
- All families are automatically signed up for the weekly school newsletter "The Messenger." This important newsletter is sent on Thursdays to inform you of the latest school events, updates, possible calendar changes, reminders, news, etc.
- Like us on Facebook - "The Basilica School of St. Mary"
- Follow us on Twitter - SMS_VA
- Follow us on Instagram - basilicaschoolstmary
FACTS - This is the tuition and incidental costs management system that we use. You can find a link to FACTS on the Parent Resources landing page or by clicking here. If you forget your password please request a reset from the system.
PowerSchool - This is the student information database that houses all of your household demographic and emergency contact information. For families with students in grades 4-8, you will also use this system to access and track your child's grades. You can find a link to PowerSchool on the Parent Resources landing page or by clicking here. If you forget your password please request a reset from the system. If you are new to the school, you will receive login credentials in a separate email that also contains instructions. Need help? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schoology - Teachers use Schoology to post their classroom materials online; provide a safe forum for
students to discuss their ideas and collaborate on projects; and to assign and collect homework electronically. It helps students stay organized and it keeps the class connected.
EZSchool Pay - This is the system that is used to pay for lunch purchases. You must have an EZSchool Pay account linked to a form of payment in order to purchase lunch. You can find a link to EZSchool Pay on the Parent Resources web page or by clicking here.
PickUp Patrol (PUP) -This is the required online program used to communicate your child's after-school default dismissal plan, and as needed, their change in dismissal plans AND to notify the school of your child(ren's) absence. Questions? Send an email to Mrs. Kelly at email@example.com.