Back to School
Welcome back students and families! We are looking forward to seeing you for the new school year!
To ensure a successful start to the year we ask that you please review all of the topics listed in the accordion below, then print and complete the school forms and update your online data through PowerSchool. ALL required (and optional) forms are posted here for your convenience. Hard copies of forms are available in the main office. Hours are 9-12 am Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays until August 20. when we will resume regular office hours from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm.
FORMS are DUE no later than MONDAY, AUGUST 27, 2018.
1. Bring them with you to school on Friday, August 24, "Sneak-a-Peek" day for grades 1-8, from 1:30 - 3:00pm. Forms can be dropped off at school.
2. For kindergarten students, bring them with you to school on your “Meet and Greet” day which is on Thursday, August 23. Information will be sent in a letter to each kindergarten family to notify parents and their kindergarten students of their 30 minute time slot to visit their classroom. (No siblings, please). We will collect forms in the lobby of the main building.
3. Mail them to us at: The Basilica School of Saint Mary, 400 Green St., Alexandria, VA 22314 Attn: Back to School Forms
Pre-K students will receive their own Back to School information packet later in August.
- POWER SCHOOL - Update required account information. Mandatory all students.
- SCHOOL DIRECTORY - All Families Included AFTER Opting In YES
- HANDBOOK - Read, print and sign agreement form. MANDATORY for all students.
- HEALTH FORMS - Please review to determine which are mandatory.
- WALK TO CHURCH PERMISSION FORM - Read, print and sign. Mandatory all students.
- EXTENDED DAY REGISTRATION - Read, print and sign. Mandatory all students.
- PICKUP PATROL - Update August 16 Dismissal Plans & Absence Notification System. Mandatory all students.
- LUNCH and MILK - EZSchoolPay and Milk Form
- FAMILIES IN SERVICE (FIS) - Registration Form
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES
- SUMMER READING ASSIGNMENT - Students Grade 4-8
- SNEAK-A-PEEK GRADES 1-8: August 24, 1:30 - 3:00 pm
- WHAT TIME DOES SCHOOL START AND END?
- CALENDARS - Sync your calendar to save time!
- SOCIAL MEDIA - LIKE US, FOLLOW US, SIGN UP - KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR SCHOOL
- WALKER PASS REQUEST
- TEACHER ASSIGNMENTS
- CARPOOL - KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT
- ONLINE SYSTEMS USED AT OUR SCHOOL
ALL families are required to complete the information below for each of your students no later than August 27:
New Families should look for PowerSchool account information in a mailing that will be sent August 3.
Contact email@example.com if you need login assistance.
- DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION - enter new or updated demographic information. Please make sure that all information is added for ALL your children.
- EMERGENCY CONTACTS - enter new or updated emergency contact information
- *NEW* MEDIA RELEASE - read carefully the information regarding the use of your student's image for print, video, or audio, and/or name for use in our communications produced by the school, church, or the diocese. These are required questions and your answers may not be changed during the school year, so please take care to answer them thoughtfully.
- SCHOOL DIRECTORY: To be included in the school directory, select YES (for each student) from the dropdown menu. If you choose YES, all demographic information you have entered or updated for both parents will be included. If you DO NOT ANSWER this question by August 30, you will NOT BE INCLUDED in the directory. Households with more than one address must send an email to Directory@smsva.org if they want to be listed separately by August 31; otherwise students will be listed in the directory under the "primary" household. All Families will receive one directory per family. Additional directories will be available for purchase in the school office for $10.
To be included in The Basilica School of Saint Mary Directory, parents must answer the question YES, for each student, in the PowerSchool Summer Demographic Update in August. If this question is left unanswered, for each student, they will NOT be included in the directory.
- If you have a student who lives in 2 separate households, and you want the households to be listed separately, please send an email to Directory@smsva.org, by August 30, indicating your preference. If we do not hear from you by August 30, then your students will be shown in the directory under the "primary" household name.
- If you want specific information removed from the directory, for example, delete a mother's cell phone, or father's email address, please send an email with your specific and very clear request to Directory@smsva.org.
Families will receive one printed copy of a directory free of charge. Additional copies will be made available for $10 each and may be purchased in the main office.
Please read the 2018-2019 Parent/Student Handbook.
Print and sign the Handbook Agreement form. Mandatory all students grades K - 8.
Print, sign and submit hard copy Handbook Agreement forms at Sneak-A-Peek August 24, or on August 27, the first day of school.
All returning families must print and complete the Confidential Health History Update Form.
NEW students must be in the process of completing, or have already completed, the School Health Entrance form.
All other forms must be completed as needed.
Forms are due no later than August 27, or you may turn them in at Sneak-A-Peek, August 24.
If you have not submitted your registration form for the Extended Day Program, please print and complete.
This form was made available to our families last May.
All families MUST COMPLETE the program form even if you do not intend on using the program. We need the information regarding who is allowed to pick up your child in the case of an emergency or they are not picked up in carpool, and your child is sent to Extended Day. Please review the form to determine which sections we require.
Pre-K students do not use Extended Day so this form is not required for Pre-K students.
NOTE: Students attending Extended Day on August 28, the first day of the program, should bring lunch. Milk will be provided or may be purchased if your student is not enrolled in the milk program.
Extended Day Program Form
Please submit this form with other required forms no later than August 27.
Click here for more information about our Extended Day program.
Questions? Send an email to Mrs. Anne Hampton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patrol is the online program (and phone app) our parents use to
- Inform the school of their children's after school (default) dismissal plans, and as needed, any changes in dismissal plans
- Notify the school of your child's absence due to illness or other reason.
- New families should look for an email from PickUp Patrol, with a link for immediate sign on to create your child(ren)'s dismissal plan(s) and then set up the app on their cell phone. The link is only active for 48 hours after it is received.
- Returning families, please log in to update your app and set up your default dismissal plan for each of your children.
- The link to the updated PUP program is https://app.pickuppatrol.net/parents
New PickUp Patrol App
To provide you with better tools to communicate dismissal plans with our school, PickUp Patrol has a new Progressive Web App (PWA) that is delivered through the web rather than from an app store like Google Play or The App Store for iPhone. The old app is no longer available from these stores.
The App has these advantages and features:
- Easier, faster logins
- Plans that repeat can be submitted as one entry
- Review and edit Default Plans directly in the app
- Quicker access to new features
Here’s how to get the update:
- Open this link: https://app.pickuppatrol.net/
- Log in and then add the page to your home screen. (Instructions for how to do this vary by phone and platform, but are easily located on the internet.)
- Delete the old app. Any plan changes already submitted will be saved.
Nutritious hot and cold lunch offerings are made available to our students. All families are required to use EZ School Pay to pay lunch bills. Please set up your EZ School Pay lunch account for your child(ren), if you do not have one. Once your account is set up, or if you are a returning account holder, please add funds to your account with a valid credit card. When setting up your account, be sure to select the box to receive an email notification should your account balance become negative. You also have the option of setting up automatic recurring payments when balances reach a certain level or on a monthly or weekly basis. If you do not have an EZschool Pay account linked to a valid credit card, your student will not be authorized to purchase lunch.
Click here for EZschool Pay Sign up Instructions. Should your account carry a negative balance over $50, your account will be made inactive and your child/ren will not be able to purchase lunch until the account is paid. If there are unpaid/negative balances on your account at the end of a trimester, report cards will be held until the account is paid in full. You can check to see if you are enrolled at http://www.ezschoolpay.com/
The daily lunch menu is posted on the school calendar. Every attempt is made to use fresh and unprocessed (or minimally processed) foods. Everything is sold a la carte.
The Department of Agriculture subsidizes school milk and makes it available to all students. The cost for one carton of milk daily at lunch, per student, is $55 for the school year, for students in grades kindergarten - 8. If you would like your child to have more than one carton of milk at lunch each day please indicate how many, and type that in the form. For example, should you select 2 milks per day for your student your account would show an $110 withdraw for the year. Your FACTS account will evidence a withdraw for this program on September 21, 2018 per your selections indicated. No checks or hard copy forms are required.
On-Line Form Due Date: August 27, 2018
FACTS withdraw: September 21, 2018
Fee: $55 annually per milk carton/per child
Click here for the online Milk Registration Form
Rules for acceptance and participation in the Diocese of Arlington U.S. Department of Agriculture Special Milk Program and all activities of the Child Nutrition programs are the same for all without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability and political beliefs. Free milk is available to children who meet the approved eligibility criteria. Please contact Mrs. Cantwell (email@example.com) for details on eligibility criteria. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any USDA related activity should write to the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington D.C. 20250.
Lunch or Milk form are not applicable to Pre-K students.
Questions regarding EZschool Pay or the Milk Form please contact Susan Walsh in the Business Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the 2018 - 2019 school year the family commitment is 25 shares (12 shares if a single parent family), and we are requiring each family to commit a few hours to one of our major fundraisers that underwrites special needs that tuition typically does not cover.
Please view available jobs listed in the FIS Catalog.
Complete the form above to register your preferences for the 2018-2019 school year. Positions are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis and will be assigned by the end of August.
Please note that the Basilica of St. Mary parish and school enforces the Arlington Diocesan requirement that all volunteers who have contact with children must complete the entire Protecting God's Children program which includes a background check, other paperwork and attending a VIRTUS training session.
For more information on the Families-In-Service program please click here.
Should you have any questions, please contact FIS@smsva.org.
Our school uniform items are supplied through Lands’ End (School Uniform Division). Lands’ End has created a custom website for our school which streamlines ordering uniform items. Be sure to sign up on the Lands' End website for emails about promotions and sales. Free logo or penny logo events are run a few times per year.
It is encouraged that you shop early. If you are ordering in the summer, Lands' End processing and shipping can get delayed during the month of August.
Please refer to the Parent Student Handbook for uniform guidelines.
on the link Landsend.com/school
- You should now be on the School Uniform page. If not, click on the School Uniforms tab at the top of the page.
- Select "Find My School" box and either enter our school number 900055526 or look up by name entering The Basilica School of Saint Mary.
- A pop-up window will display where you can select our school and enter information about the grade you are looking for.
- Start shopping.
Click on the links below to view the supply list for each grade. Students may bring supplies the first week of school or have the option to drop off their supplies in their classroom on their Meet and Greet day (for Kindergarten students) or Sneak a Peek day (for 1st - 8th grade students). Pre-K students do not purchase school supplies.
All rising 3rd - 8th graders are required to complete a summer reading assignment. Please click on the links below for details.
Parents and students in grades 1-8 are invited to an informal "meet and greet" with teachers in classrooms. You are welcome to visit anytime during these hours for a brief visit. Students may bring their school supplies with them that day.
Bring completed and signed forms to the school.
Kindergarten students will have their "Meet and Greet" on AUGUST 23. Additional information, with assigned times to meet with the teacher, will be sent in a letter to each kindergarten family in August. Back to School forms can be turned in at the office on this day.
Pre-K students will have their "Meet and Greet" during the first week of school (8/28-9/1). Additional information, with assigned times to meet the teacher and visit the classroom, will be sent to each Pre-K family in August.
7:55 am for grades 6, 7, and 8
8:00 am for grades PreK – 5
Students may begin to arrive at 7:30 AM.
Middle school students may enter Stephens Hall upon arrival (after 7:30 am).
Monday/Tuesday/Thursday and Friday: School will be dismissed at 3:15 pm.
Wednesday: School will be dismissed at 2:15 pm.
First Week Of School Dismissal Times:
8/27: 11:30 am dismissal - no Extended Day
8/28 : 11:30 am dismissal - Extended Day begins, pack a lunch as lunch will not be available for purchase. Milk will be provided or charged if not in the milk program.
8/29 : 2:15 pm dismissal
8/30 : 3:15 pm dismissal
8/31 : 11:30 am dismissal - lunch will be available for purchase in Extended Day
First day of school for Pre-K students: Tuesday, 9/4/2018
School calendars may be viewed on the website and may be synced with your devices.
It is recommended to do this now so you're all set for the rest of the year.
- All families are automatically signed up for the weekly school newsletter "The Messenger." This important newsletter is sent on Thursdays to inform you of the latest school events, updates, possible calendar changes, reminders, news, etc. Send an email to email@example.com if you need to add another email.
- Like us on Facebook - Search "The Basilica School of St. Mary"
- Follow us on Twitter - Search SMS_VA
All walkers must obtain a Walker Pass. A Walker Pass may be distributed to those students who will be walking to their homes (or parent's office) after school. The home or office must fall within the boundaries of South Washington and King Streets. The Walker Pass is issued through the main office via the form below and passes are collected on the last day of school.
An application is required and approved for each school year. A pass from the previous year will not be honored.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL
The following procedure has been developed for the safety and well-being of all our students. We ask for everyone's cooperation and patience when dropping off and picking up children from school. Working together, it is amazing how quickly and efficiently we can safely greet and say goodbye to our student body each day. Please be sure to direct any concerns, issues or problems to the school office.
TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF EVERYONE, DRIVERS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE CELL PHONES WHILE IN MORNING OR AFTERNOON CARPOOL LINES.
Students should be on the school grounds by 7:50 a.m. THERE IS NO ADULT SUPERVISION BEFORE 7:30 a.m. The Basilica School of St. Mary has no responsibility or obligation for the safety and welfare of children dropped off before 7:30 a.m. The Basilica School of St. Mary is not held accountable for those who violate this policy.
Classes for students in grades K-5 begin each day at 8:00 a.m. and end with dismissal at
3:15 p.m. (except on Wednesday with dismissal at 2:15 p.m.)
Classes for students in grades 6, 7, & 8 begin each day at 7:55 a.m. and end with dismissal at 3:15 p.m. (except on Wednesday with dismissal at 2:15 p.m.)
The preschool session begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 12:00 p.m.
Children remain on the playground until 7:50 a.m. When the whistle blows, the children form classroom lines and proceed to their homerooms. Students are considered late after 8:00 a.m. Kindergarten children will go directly into the gym upon arriving at
Middle School students who enter Stephens Hall after 7:55 a.m. will be marked tardy.
Please make sure your Middle School student arrives to school in time to go to his or her locker prior to first period.
Supervising teachers will be on duty each morning. On rainy days, students in 1st-8th grades should go directly into their homeroom to wait for the first bell. Parents may not escort their children beyond the front office.
Children may be brought to the Basilica School via public transportation arranged by parents or by dropping children off at the Royal Street gates in our carpool line. The Royal Street carpool line forms in the southbound lanes only. Please do not cross Royal Street or make U-turns.
Cars must remain in a single file line and dismiss riders on the Royal Street curbside. Drivers may use Green St. to come into the carpool line, but not to exit it.
Parents of kindergarten students should have the “Little Saint on Board” decal in their passenger side window. This allows our morning patrols to make sure they assist those cars with kindergarten students. Kindergarten will then line up at the bottom of the black top with a teacher aid and then be escorted to the gym by teacher aides in a “kindergarten train.”
If a Pre-K student has a sibling in grades 4 or higher, they may be dropped off in the morning carpool line and then escorted to the Pre-K classroom by their sibling. Please allow time for the sibling to complete this process. If the Pre-K student does not have a sibling in grades 4 or higher then they must follow the drop off procedures in the Pre-K handbook.
Please do not enter or block the alleyway on the side of the school on Green Street.
(This plan was made in cooperation with the City of Alexandria Police Department.)
3:12 p.m. Afternoon Prayers and Announcements, followed by Kindergarten dismissal
3:13 p.m. Bus riders will be dismissed
3:14 p.m. All carpool riders will be dismissed to the black top area.
3:15 p.m. Walkers will be dismissed
*All walkers must obtain a Walker Pass from the main office at the beginning of the school year. A Walker Pass may be distributed to those students who will be walking to their homes (or parent’s office) after school. The home or office must fall within the boundaries of Washington and King Streets.
Cars coming from the south must make a right turn on Jefferson Street and then turn right on South Royal Street. Cars that are coming from points north enter carpool lanes going south on Royal Street and, then, take a left into the turnabout before the bridge stopping on the east side of Royal St. where the gates of the blacktop begin. Cars will line up and wait for the gates to open. Do not block the driveway to the blacktop where the gates open.
In accordance with the directive by the City of Alexandria Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, cars may not be left unattended while waiting to enter the school grounds. Please do not block the city recycling bins, any driveways or the blacktop gates.
At 2:55 p.m. the gates will open and cars will be directed to park in straight lines on the blacktop. The cars will enter the blacktop so that the first car lines up parallel to Green Street along the Green Street fence (as opposed to along the curb in front of Stephens Hall). The cars will exit the lot from the Green Street side beginning with the first car that entered the lot per usual. The change will allow us to load the second round of children more efficiently. Please pay attention to the person on duty who will direct you to your lane. Please move forward enough to utilize all spaces. Once the bell has rung, the students will be gathered behind the orange barriers at the top of the blacktop. You are then free to get your child and bring them to your car. All parents are asked to gather their students and return to their car expeditiously so that we can dismiss the first round of vehicles and repeat the process for the second round of cars.
As the first round of cars exit the blacktop, the second round of cars will be directed in the gate to fill the spaces. Parents in the second round of carpool are asked to remain in their cars until the first round has fully exited and the teacher on duty gives the signal. Please note, once the first round of cars have started moving, children must carefully follow all directions from faculty and staff on duty.
It is important that we adhere to the carpool procedures for the safety of the children. Teachers on duty are supervising students and are not available to conference with parents until after 3:35 p.m.
LATE CARPOOL PICKUP: ATE All students, whose carpools have not arrived prior to the time when we dismiss students to the cars during second round, will be sent to Late Carpool Pick-Up located in the Art classroom. As a guideline, this is usually 15 minutes after dismissal. Parents will be charged a fee of $15 per student until 3:45 pm ( 2:45 pm on Wednesdays, or noon on half-days). After 3:45 pm, late carpool students will be sent to Extended Day and will be charged accordingly. Students registered in Plan A or B will NOT be charged this late pick-up fee.
FACTS - This is the tuition and incidental costs management system that we use. You can find a link to FACTS on the Parent Resources landing page or by clicking here. If you forget your password please request a reset from the system.
PowerSchool - This is the student information database that houses all of your household demographic and emergency contact information. For families with students in grades 4-8, you will also use this system to access and track your child's grades. You can find a link to PowerSchool on the Parent Resources landing page or by clicking here. If you forget your password please request a reset from the system.
mySMS - mySMS is the main classroom-to-home communication tool and will have information such as homeroom teacher pages, psecials teacher pages and room parent information. The teacher pages will include homework assignments, classroom newsletters, calendars, project inforamtion and other important notes. To glog into your mySMS account, please click here.
EZSchool Pay - This is the system that is used to pay for lunch purchases. You must have an EZSchool Pay account linked to a form of payment in order to purchase lunch. You can find a link to EZSchool Pay on the Parent Resources landing page or by clicking here.
PickUp Patrol (PUP) -This is the required online program used to communicate your child's after-school default dismissal plan, and as needed, their change in dismissal plans AND to notify the school of your child(ren's) absence.
VolunteerMatters - This online system allows parents to check hours and assignments. If you are a new family, you will be receiving an email from VolunteerMatters soon with your username and password. Please login to the system and verify that your demographic information is correct. If you are a current family, your existing username and password is active for login. Click here to log in. If you have any questions about VolunteerMatters, send an email to Mrs. Averil Caroll at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about volunteer hours or requirements please contact FIS@smsva.org.