Odyssey of the Mind
Available to Grades K-8
Odyssey of the Mind (OOTM) is an international educational program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students from kindergarten through college. The students apply their creativity to solve problems that range from building mechanical devices to presenting their own interpretation of literary classics. Each team will work in a group of 5-7 students to selected a problem, brain storm & develop solutions and implement their ideas.
- Allows kids to use their imaginations to interpret and solve complex problems in a FUN way.
- Promotes interest in STEAM
- Helps develop divergent, independent thinking abilities
- Helps develop real life communication, teamwork and brainstorming skills
- Rewards creativity and calculated risk taking
When are meetings held?
Weekly meetings set by volunteer (VIRTUS) parent coach and co-coach/per team.
Is there a registration fee?
Usually under $25, but dependent on number of participants
Is there a competition?
Regional Competition Date: March 9, 2019, at West Potomac High School, Alexandria
State Competition: April 6, 2019
How do I register?
When is the Registration Deadline?
5th and 7th Grades: Registrations are due by September 21
K-4, 6th and 8th Grades: Registrations are due by October 5
To learn more: https://www.odysseyofthemind.com/whatis.php